Thursday, January 27, 2011

Wolfpack, Spartans duel to stalemate

It looks as if we'll have to wait a bit longer to find out who the best boys soccer team in the Sierra League is.

In what was one of the best high school soccer matches I've seen, Claremont and Damien played for 100 total minutes, which included two 40-minute halves and two 10-minute overtime periods. And while both teams had their opportunities to score, the game ended with the score still deadlocked at 0-0.

Kudos to both teams on what was an intense and highly competitive match that was exciting the whole way through. Even though neither team could pull out the win, Claremont coach Fred Bruce-Oliver was pleased with his team's effort.

"I'm very happy because for a while, I was thinking that we were playing not to lose," Coach Bruce-Oliver said. "Then I showed them video of a previous game and they told me that they saw some bad things. Tonight, we got back to playing and I felt like we were not playing safe."

Both the Wolfpack and Spartans are now 4-0-1 in Sierra League play. Look for further coverage in Saturday's issue of the COURIER.

No comments:

Post a Comment